Perfumes were not always considered cosmetics. In the ancient civilizations of Egypt, Persia, China, and Rome— cultures that revered plants and their spirit communication properties — perfumes were used to anoint the body and used in ceremony. Perfumes were used as spiritual and physical adornment to make requests to the goddesses and gods, as well as viewed as protective armour. If you have the anointing of the Divine, then you are blessed. Overtime, perfumes became associated with beauty and individuality.
From a scientific perspective, the olfactory nerve enables our sense of smell. The olfactory nerve was the first cranial nerve to develop in an evolutionary sense, and is the only cranial nerve that directly transmits to the brain, without relaying it through another part of the central nervous system first.
Our sense of smell is instrumental to individual memory, but also memory as a species (collective memory). This gives great insight on how plants can be healing socially. Scent is also deeply linked to pheromones and creativity.
Our response to smells is primal, intuitive, emotional, psychological, and physical. Smells function as a way for babies to recognize their mothers, for sexual partners to increase their arousal, for us to connect with the Cosmos. Scents warn, comfort, seduce, purify, recall, give one confidence. They can also rouse the attention of the Divine and affect the manifested world.
Ceremonie’s ANOINTING PARFUM OILS are all-plant fragrances formulated in ritual to help attune our resonance to meet the resonance of spirit beings and archetypes. In other words, scent as messaging, scent as portal, scent as channeling, scent as renewing, scent as spirit connection.
10 Ways to Work with Ceremonie’s Anointing Parfums
- As an everyday, natural fragrance.
- As a scent-amulet for protection and luck.
- As an anointing oil to bless a space.
- As plant allies in your coven for a vision, intention, or spell.
- To invite (a) partner(s) to step into alignment and union.
- To attract the attention of ancestors and other guides.
- To engage in dream work, before sleep and recall of dreams.
- To cleanse and charge an altar or special nook.
- To role play with personas and alter egos.
- As a different kind of liquid courage to make changes in your life.
What are some other ways you work with them?
Founder, Animist, and Spirit Communicator