It’s camping season. I just returned from a beautiful time away camping in the Cuyamaca Mountains, and though the creeping, crawling, and flying critters offer medicine of their own by asking me to pay attention, my preference is to be able to pay attention to other things by not having to constantly swat at them and itch my skin. For this reason, here’s a remedy that I have found to be effective, without needing DEET formulations. I also list energetics of certain plant beings.
Create a formulation of 98 ml of witchhazel to total of 45 drops of essential oil (of any combo):
• Yarrow – long used for its energetics of setting boundaries and restoring balance (particularly of Yin and Yang energies)
• Clove – in TCM, Clove has long been relied on for a variety of ailments, including digestive and immune support. It has also been associated with protection and armouring.
• Tea Tree
• Rosemary – associated within earth-based magickal practises for protection purposes as well as cutting through distraction. This also includes protecting one’s mind from false memories or forgotten memories. Outside of the esoteric, science understands that Rosemary contains a compound called 1,8-cineole, which has been shown increases alertness and enhances long term memory by 60-75% compared with people who had not been exposed to the oil. I find Rosemary an immensely helpful ally when I want to be able to enjoy the outdoors, remain focused (via its repellent ability), and being able to retain the gift of the experience via my memory later on.
• Patchouli – the plant that governs change, I use the plant when I want to shape shift, including my tendency to be magnetic to mosquitos.
• Basil – can also be applied in 10% dilution (with carrier) to bites, as Basil is anti-venomous. I have found Basil to offer effective relief to wasp stings
• Lemongrass (Do not exceed 4 drops, as beyond this it could irritate your skin
When blending, hold the intention of respecting insects while holding your own boundaries.
Happy time outdoors,
founder and Spirit Communicator
If you enjoyed this post, and would like more, please feel free to share with your friends. I also welcome you to follow Ceremonie on Instagram or the email list! My neurofeedback work can be found via Open Minds Performance, also on IG.
Image: I took this photo when I was attending a Motherpeace Tarot retreat in Descanso, California, with one of my teachers, Vicki Noble.